desserts

Friday, August 21, 2015

Coconut Pecan Frosting

This is my all time favorite frosting!  In fact when my mom would make me German Chocolate Cake for my birthday, she would double or even triple the recipe, so there would be more frosting than cake.  I can eat this by the spoonful!



There was one day she made this and I remember it sitting on the counter all day.  Every time I'd walk by I'd swipe my finger across the top and lick the frosting off!  I remember thinking I was only taking a little here and a little there.  Unfortunately, by the end of the day the frosting was nearly gone.  Oops!

Last night was my son's half birthday!  Yes - 17 1/2!  Where did the time go?  Anyway, I made him 1/2 a cake!  We used King Arthur's Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix, and topped it with this recipe!


1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cups coconut
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla in a medium saucepan.  Cook over medium heat until thickened, about 12 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add coconut and chopped pecans.  Stir well until thick enough to spread.  Let it cool then top your cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment