desserts

Friday, February 25, 2011

Southwestern Chicken Soup

This soup is so flavorful and delicious!  The yogurt and fresh cilantro add a nice touch!  A big thanks to my friend Katie for sharing it with me!  There was only a small amount left over that I served over rice for my lunch the next day, which was also a delicious way to eat it!  Next time I'll double the recipe!


1/2 lb chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T olive oil
1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
plain yogurt
fresh cilantro, minced

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken, onion and garlic in olive oil until chicken is no longer pink.  Stir in the corn, beans, broth, tomatoes, cumin, salt, and chili powder.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 - 15 minutes.  Garnish with yogurt and cilantro.

Notes:
  •  I added twice as much onion
  •  I made the broth with 2 cups water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes
  •  I used 1 1/2 cups frozen corn instead of canned corn

No comments:

Post a Comment