desserts

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Curry

This is one of my favorite recipes!  I love aroma in my kitchen when I make this!  You first make the basic curry roux.  Then you add veggies and meat, tailored to your liking.

3 cups water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 onions
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
1 apple, peeled and shredded
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 tablespoons featherlight flour
1/2 teaspoon garam masala

2 cups chicken, cooked bite sized pieces
1 1/2 cups carrots, sliced
2 cups potatoes, 1/2 inch cubes
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt

Heat bouillon in water to make broth, and set aside.  Saute onions and butter in a pan, until onions start to turn brown.  Add garlic, ginger, and apple in the pan and saute 2 or 3 minutes.  Add flour and curry powder and saute over low heat until flour is heated through.  Gradually add the broth to the onions, stirring constantly.  Simmer for a few minutes until thickened, then add the garam masala.  Add vegetables and meat.  On medium heat simmer until vegetables are tender.  Serve over rice.

Note:  I keep my ginger in the freezer.  When I need it, I pull it out and peel and grate what I need.
           I like McCormick's Curry Powder the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment